Hydrographic Survey Services
Large areas of the world’s oceans and waterways still remain unsurveyed by modern techniques. Other areas, subject to high levels of vessel traffic and with a highly mobile seabed require regular multibeam surveys to provide up to date bathymetry data for inclusion in nautical charts. SHG regularly undertake high-resolution surveys for nautical charting purposes. High levels of online quality control are paramount to ensure the acquisition of the required coverage and sounding density for target detection as defined by the IHO Special Order and IHO Order 1a specifications.
Robust processing procedures have been developed by SHG surveyors to ensure that all seabed features are identified. When submitted to the client (and maritime authorities), these features will therefore be included on the published nautical charts where they pose a hazard to vessel navigation.
In addition to bathymetry surveys of the seafloor, wreck investigations are conducted. Survey lines are run with a narrow swath angle whilst utilizing water column data to ensure the shoalest point on the wreck structure is identified.
SHG’s survey fleet is equipped with full ocean depth multibeam echosounder systems for habitat surveys, hydrographic surveys, and charting. Our accurate desktop studies assist in cable route planning and for cable burial, we conduct onboard soil assessment. Our services also include airborne acquisition of offshore bathymetric lidar data and the acquisition of 2D seismic data for Exclusive Economic Zone assessment for UNCLOS claims.
For submarine communication and power cables, we provide planning, desktop studies, site visits, route selection, route surveys, and installation support. Associated services include environmental impact studies, burial assessment surveys, and archaeological surveys
Airborne Lidar Bathymetry (ALB) and terrestrial laser scanning offer highly efficient and cost-effective solutions to hydrographic surveying, riverine mapping, coastal zone and engineering projects. Our BOAT-MAP technique combines the benefits of multibeam bathymetry with above-water laser scanning to produce a seamless image of the coastal zone, both above and below the waterline. Habitat and reef mapping are amongst the features of our environmental services.
For UNCLOS claims, our EEZ mapping services include bathymetry and seismic data acquisition as well as expert advice on maritime boundaries and workshops and seminars tailored to your specific requirements. Our range of services includes:
- Airborne Lidar Bathymetry (ALB)
- Cable route surveys
- Burial assessment
- Desktop studies
- Global ‘Law of the Sea’ services
- Fisheries habitat
- Hydrographic mapping
- Support for engineering projects
- Hazard surveys
- Underwater infrastructure inspection
Our offshore survey services reach all global regions and virtually all offshore developments:
- Cable Routes – Together with satellites, submarine fibre optic cables form the backbone of modern communications. Planning cable routes requires mapping of the seabed between landing points and from the shoreline to full ocean depth. In continental areas, cables are required to be buried where possible for protection from other marine activities. Our survey services provide essential information on water depth, seabed morphology and shallow geology/soil strength.
- Hydrographic Mapping – Navigational charts require data of the highest quality. Fugro has innovative and robust data acquisition, processing systems and methodologies to deliver data of exceptional quality in all water depths from the shoreline. Government agencies and private sector companies are among our clients.
- Lidar Surveying – Airborne Lidar Bathymetry is ideally suited to coastal zones where large areas can be surveyed efficiently and where vessel-based measurements cannot be easily undertaken due to factors such as remote locations or navigational hazards. Data acquired this way can also be used to map flora and fauna habitats.
- Global Law of the Sea (LOS) Services – Our consultancy services include coastal states territorial sea baseline model management, coastal states LOS maritime limits and boundaries, extended continental shelf (ECS) services and oil and gas corporate law of the sea risk services. ECS claims can be supported by ALB surveys to establish the baseline and then, using our fleet of dedicated survey vessels, deepwater bathymetry and/or 2D seismic surveys.
- Port, Harbour and Coastal Surveys – In addition to coastal projects for LNG plants, port developments and route landfalls, our experience also covers surveys of inland water such as reservoirs, rivers and lakes. These projects have involved sedimentation measuring, inspection of bridge foundations, floodplain modelling and capacity or volumetric calculations for dredging.
We retain a clear focus on your objectives and draw on our vast experience and extensive resources, including a modern fleet of dedicated survey vessels, to deliver high-quality service on schedule. With the ability to mobilize onto third party vessels and aircraft, we include flexibility with our expertise.
- Large dedicated survey fleet
- ALB systems
- Optional mobilization of vessels of opportunity
- Global coverage with local support
- R&D support for the development of new technology
- Experienced reporting teams providing engineering and GIS deliverables